Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Druids and Kitchen Witches

Druids - what can I say on that topic that hasn't already been said?  Really, the only thing I have to contribute is my own experience with Druidry and its practices.

I've been a Druid for a while now. A few years, really.  What drew me to this was the connection with the earth, the focus on nature and our role there and a strong sense that this was my path.

Then there was another draw... another path "revealed itself" to me.  I put that in quotes because it's not like I found something new and went "oh wow! Lookie!" - it was more a moment of me looking around and saying "oh wait, I've been doing this for a really long time and I didn't know what it was called."  Kitchen witchery.

So I did what every good researcher's daughter does - I went and found books and started reading.  Ellen Dugan was there, as was Patricia Telesco and Scott Cunningham.  Anyone who's been in this for a while knows those names - if you're new, they are kind and easy to follow and authors I heartily recommend. 

So - the crossover.  What it is to be a Druid is to walk the old ways, to know the turn of the Earth and to listen to what she has to say.  It is to know the roots and herbs and plants, to know their uses and to know the practical application therein.  This, to me, is also what it means to be a kitchen witch.  It means knowing when to make an incense and how.  It means that your Book of Shadows looks more like a cookbook than a spell book.  It means that knowing if someone needs "a cup of tea" that a little intent with stirring can go a long way.  It means understanding what it means to put yourself into what you do and work your magic through your hearth.  It is a magic as old as any on this planet and one that women and men have practiced for eternity.  Sound familiar?  Sounds like Druids to me. 

I am sure that there are people who will disagree with me, but no matter.  This is what works for me, quite effectively. 

So what I plan to do here is to post a little about my experience, a little about recipes for food, incense, teas, etc, a little about spell intention (please note, I strongly advocate writing your own spells) and any advice I feel should be passed on to the masses.  Take what you need, leave the rest.  Pass it along to those you think might like it.  

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment