Friday, October 30, 2015

Samhain on the road

I love spending the holy days at my little piece of yard.  This will mark my 3rd Samhain at the house, and the last two have been amazing. The sun lowers, I walk out the back door, down the wood stairs and into the yard strewn with leaves. My gaze falls on the small graveyard over the stone wall from us, and the dead smile and wave as we are now good acquaintances. They're not a malicious bunch, just a group of old soldiers and a few of their ladies. They're a pretty quiet bunch.

This year, however, I won't be in my backyard to watch the moon rise and to hold ceremony. This year I'll be close to where I used to live, to places I've held ceremony before, at a convention furthering the pursuits of my heart and my sisters profession.

I'll have no patch of grass to go to, but that's no matter. Why? Because when it comes down to it, your own person is the only thing you need to celebrate the holy days.

Yes, it's nice to have grass to go to. Yes, it's nice to have the graveyard so handy. Yes, it's nice to celebrate in a place that I've been working with for so long, that is truly my home base. But will my ceremony be any less potent because I'm doing it in a hotel room in DC? Nope. I'll have myself, I'll have my intent and my will, I'll have my book and my cup - I'll have what I need to honor my ancestors, to thank the gods, to offer up and to call down blessing.

My ceremony does not diminish because I'm wearing my jammies with my hair in a messy bun.

The important part is what I put into it of myself. You can be wearing all the ceremonial robes you want, be in a stone circle on hallowed ground under a full moon with a full coven in attendance and resins burning in cast iron and attendants and food offerings and wine offerings and ALL THE THINGS... and it won't make a lick of difference if your intent and will aren't there.

Those things are nice. Those things are also not mandatory.

So, I invite you this Samhain to hold a ceremony wherever you are, in whatever you're wearing, with whoever you want there. Have a dixie cup of wine, or a red solo cup of sparkling grape juice, or a Pom Wonderful, or a cup of Mtn Dew. Have a cookie, or a cake, or a wheat thin if you want. Wear your jammies, wear nothing, wear sweatpants and a hoodie and your warmest socks and mittens and a coat! It doesn't matter how you come to the Circle, the point is to come, and come honestly, come willingly, come with intent.

I'll see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment