Wednesday, March 11, 2015

It's the little things that make you smile

I'm not a morning person - ask anyone who's met me and they'll answer with "yes, kinda, well, not till after coffee."  It's fact, I'm just not a morning person.  But, because I have responsibilities and all that, I get up and start my day at 6am, whether I like it or not.

Today was better than some mornings - the coffee was hot and plentiful, my outfit came together easily and I didn't run into a lot of traffic on my commute in to work.  There's one section of my drive that takes me through a residential section, and I love that part of the drive the most - not because I'm sitting in a long line of traffic (because I am) but because the houses are lovely, and it's fairly wooded.  The houses have been there long enough that the landscape has grown back around them, and it's seamless again, unlike the areas of new construction that are so scarred and barren once the earth movers and demo teams are done ripping things away to make room for a huge new house.

So as I'm sitting in that long, slow line of cars, I creep around the bend in the road and sitting on the low stone wall is a robin.  Just sitting there in a slice of sunlight, puffy and fat as you like, blinking at the cars rolling past.  I smiled and laughed a little, and if the traffic had stopped just then I might have tried to snap a picture with my phone but as the traffic wasn't stopping, that wasn't happening.  So I kept my eye on it for as long as I could, and thanked the Goddess for that sweet bird and the promise of Spring that it brought to my day.

the little guy I saw looked like this beauty
The Native Americans see the Robin as a sign of rebirth and growth, and a teacher that change comes through joy and happiness in your own heart.  The robin also is a sign to trust your own intuition, to be your own drummer and to move forward to your own song.  In all traditions the Robin is most powerful in the Spring.

The snow is slow to melt up here in New England, but even still, there is grass peaking out from the edges of the snowbanks around my house.  The days are significantly warmer and adding to that this lovely, fluffy messenger... well, my morning is so very much brighter.


No comments:

Post a Comment