Friday, March 20, 2015

Ostara

Is it really here already?  The piles of snow on the ground don't tell me it's here - neither does the dull grey sky or the threat of more snow later today.

What tells me that Ostara is here (other than my calendar) is remembering the fat little robin a few days ago, and the hawks that I've seen protecting nests.  What tells me is the sun that hangs longer in the sky in the evening, and the glow I see in the morning as I drive in to work.

I'll be dying eggs this weekend, and putting in my bulb order next week so I can start planting and invite more color to my yard.  I love this time of year, as I imagine all the things I'll see blooming soon, and the wealth of color that comes with it.  Sometime in the next month or so (closer to Mother's Day as, honestly, bulbs are about the only thing that you can plant till then) I'll go to my local greenhouse and get the plants for my deck railing planters.  It's a tradition with my love and I, we make a day of it and it's always fun.

So how do you celebrate Ostara?  Around my house, we'll have lemon raspberry pie, quiches, and some roasted chickens.  I usually make honey cakes as well and for as messy as they are to make, it's very, very worth it!  On Sunday the ladies and I will get together for sewing circle, and there will be more dishes and desserts with a Spring theme - lemon bars, shortbread, deviled eggs, and brownies. (because, brownies.)

As a solitary I have choices when it comes to Ceremony.  I'll put on my boots, a white shift, and my heavy wool cloak and venture out into the falling snow to welcome Spring back to my sacred space.  I'll carry with me a flower in bloom, some wine, and some honey on shortbread as gifts.  I'll carry with me also a flame, to represent the warmth flowing back into the land. The ceremony will be short, but it will be meaningful and I will listen more than I speak.  I will sit at the foot of the Goddess and I'll listen for her wisdom and take it to heart.

Bright blessings to you and yours on this Ostara.  Carry warmth with you today and find ways to spread that warmth to all you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment