Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Travel, travel, travel... and bringing your space with you

I won't try to hide the fact that I adore traveling.   I love flying, I love trains, I love long car trips... just being out in the world, seeing things I haven't before, wandering places that I don't know - it's one of the reasons I like the job I have now; I can take time off without a lot of issue and travel.

Recently I gave a lecture on bringing your sacred space with you to work, and incorporating your practice to your daily life.  So how do we do that while traveling?  You're in hotel rooms, airport gate areas, train cars, rental cars... a myriad of places that have hosted a myriad of other people.  How do you protect yourself? How do you honor the sacred and not open yourself up to the excess of other people?

There are a few different methods, but for me having a pouch of blessed items with me has worked the best.   Native Americans call it a medicine bag.  Other traditions call them gris-gris, charm bags, spell bags and the like.  Name it what you will, but they're very useful tools to keep your head on straight and your energy going the correct direction.  The contents are very personal, and (as with many other things) it is impolite (and sometimes dangerous!) to ask what is inside.

Creating them is a ritual unto itself - and keeping them is easier than you think.  A simple ritual to create one is below... and as with other how-to's that I've posted, this is general and should be personalized as you go.

Creating a Charm Bag
 You'll need:
-- a drawstring pouch in the fabric and color that calls to you that's about the size of your hand OR fabric of the correct size to make hand sized drawstring pouch (and the needle and thread to sew it)
-- a white candle (I like short pillar candles, votive candles, or tea lights in plastic cups not metal) 
-- representatives of the 4 elements
-- items for your bag, such as
    - stones
    - shells
    - string
    - charms or pendants
    - sage/ resin/ etc (star anise is a good thing to add to these.  See Cunningham's Herbal for descriptions) 

Focus on the pouch, placing your intent for safe travels and all the hope for safe and careful handling of your bags into the fibers of the fabric, seeing it weave in and around and through until the pouch is complete with it.  

Place, one by one, your items into the pouch and while you do, think about why you chose that item.  Recall a story about the item, or a reason that the item is important for protection.  

Light the candle and let the wax pool for a bit.  As you draw close your bag, picture the protection sealing itself.  Tie a knot in your drawstring and then dip the knot in the wax.  Don't soak it, that's not necessary, but just let it get a little wet with wax and let it dry without touching it. As the wax cools, see the seal form and meditate on the completeness of the protection encased there.  

Carry it with you when you travel.  

I have three of these - one that stays in my checked bag, one that stays in my purse and one that stays in my car.  They're all a little different, and they're all very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment