Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Madness of Spring

This day started great for me, see my post about Robins for more on that awesomeness, and got better when I went out for lunch today in the blessedly 58 degree weather.  I went out without a coat on even, in my lightweight knit and short sleeves!

The warmth of the sun was more welcome than the smile of an old friend today, for I've seen my friends recently and the sun, well, the sun has been hiding for bit hasn't it.  However, driving today has been rough by any definition.

People seem to go mad when the weather warms up - and even more so after such a long period of such awful weather.  The sun is bright again and the breeze doesn't rip your face off with its cold... so naturally, everyone is driving, and everyone has their windows down, and no one wants to do anything close to the speed limit because there isn't ice to worry about anymore, right?

(nevermind the water on the roads, the still present tall piles of snow and slush, the ice dripping and breaking and falling off everything...)

I've heard of many injuries today - some in the city, some on the roads, some at residences - and none of them will end happily; some are fatal.  Someone told me when I was young that the lure of Spring is like a drug, lulling you into a sense of security and leading you to your doom unless you keep your head. "Mind your head in the spring" they used to say.  When I was little I thought they were talking about allergies.  Now I know the truth of it - it is a drug that lures you, tendrils of desire that reach out and grab you, playing fast and loose and calling for you to do the same.

Sometimes it ends ok.  Sometimes it ends in death.

So, dear readers, I ask that you keep your heads in this Spring weather, lest you hear the siren song of an ambulance coming for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment